Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Just another Tuesday... or Life as Mom

My house is a disaster. There are toys everywhere, dishes in the sink, paperwork all over the counter, 3 baskets of laundry to be folded/ironed and put away and I still need to unpack the kiddos from our amazing vacation in Texas.

But I’m not cleaning. I’m taking a break. It’s been one of those days.

Let me start from the beginning. Literally.

12am- 2:30am - I’m still up waiting for Michael to come home from his night flight. I’ve cooked a delicious Texas chili, picked up the house, and scrubbed down the stove top. I decided to go to bed at 2:30 when I remembered the baby would be up soon.

3:30am - Michael comes home. I’m woken up by the dog, who wanted to go out to greet Michael, and then I hear the baby crying (I would have slept through that… bad Mom), and Michael shushing him back to sleep. Feed baby. Hubby ate out - no need for me to have cooked.

6am – Woken by a phone call. Still asleep, I hit ignore.

6:30am – Jared’s up. Imagine that. Feed him and put him back down to sleep at 7am.

7:30am, 8am, 8:15am, 8:45am, 9am, and 9:30 – I get up to put Jared’s paci back in so he doesn’t wake Michael up.

9:30am – Both kids are up… and screaming. Feed Audrey. Feed Mommy. Jared sleeps in the swing.

11am – Audrey goes down for her morning nap after throwing a huge fit, that I, frankly, didn’t want to deal with.

11:15am – Michael and I get an hour to catch up on the day/week and figure out what needs to be done

12:30pm – Audrey’s up. Screaming. Again.

1pm – I grab a 5 min shower before getting ready for Jared’s 2 month appt.

2:10pm – Jared’s appt. Made it to the hospital after listening to Jared scream the whole way (20 min). Feed him a bottle with one hand as I push my SUV stroller with the other.

Are you getting the idea yet that this is a LONG day?

2:45pm – They finally call us back. The stupid young guy doing the preliminary stuff (weight, temp, etc.) never bothers to help just tries to get out of my way as I’m holding Jared in one arm, Audrey’s whining in the stroller and the stroller is careening out of control in the other. I fill out the stupidest paperwork (2 month olds can’t do more than smile, eat and poop. Why do I need to fill out a pamphlet for him?)

3:15pm – The Dr. finally sees us (an hour after our scheduled appt. I’m expected to be on time, why can’t you?) Both kids are by now in full, blowout meltdown by now. Jared’s vomited everywhere, Audrey keeps screaming for no reason, the dr. is training someone so he’s asking stupid questions and taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r. He finishes the exam and walks out. (I can’t even say he was thorough because he had to come back in because he forgot to listen to Jared’s heart and lungs!) I lean down to correct Audrey for screaming instead of being calm and asking for help and she slaps me. But I can’t discipline right now ‘cause we’re in a public place. Awesome.

3:50pm – Jared’s starving (he wasn’t, just crying like he was). Audrey’s starving (she refused to eat her lunch earlier). And I’m actually starving since I didn’t have lunch. 3 cranky people. Off to immunizations! 3 shots. Boom done. Jared’s still screaming. (It's like ripping off a bandaid... It's gotta be done.) We grab quick snacks at the gift shop and head to the truck.

4:15pm – Audrey and Jared continue to scream the whole way home. I stop to grab some fast food to eat at home.

4:30pm – Both kids still screaming bloody murder. Audrey goes down for a nap and I feed Jared. I just endured 3 hours of nonstop screaming.

At this point I’m so tired that I take the now wide awake Jared to bed so I can nap.

6:30pm – Haven’t slept. At all. Jared was wide awake and talking. Tv was on. Eventually he fell asleep on my chest but then I really couldn’t fall asleep for fear of rolling over on him.

7:30pm – Just remembered I’m starving. I never ate lunch. My food is now stale and bad on the counter after being forgotten.


It’s just been one of those days. We all have them every now and then.

So here I am. Sitting here, eating a bowl of cereal and ranting about my day. More like bitching.

So, I don’t know how much I’m actually going to get accomplished tonight. But that’s ok. Do you know why? Because my children survived me today and I them.

Just another Tuesday.

It's so good to know that His mercies are new each morning, or hour as the case may be.

No comments:

For I am in a time of life when things change around me. Everything I own or think I have control over I must lay before my Father's feet: my education, my body, my place of residence, my husband, my children.