Monday, March 30, 2009

Would love some insight:


I'm on a quest to find out as much as I can about cloth diapering.

Drum roll, please.... I am going to cloth diaper our little person. Yeah! It seems like a really big undertaking right now. I've read, however, so many encouraging entries of how people "love" cloth diapering, how they save so much money, and how they're so green. Whatever. We're attempting to do it mostly for the sake of our finances - especially since we would like to have a larger family (4-5 kiddos????).

According to what I've read, on average a household would spend $2,500 to $3,000 per kid to diaper them from infancy to potty training in disposable diapers. Cloth diapering, on the other hand, ranges from $300 to $500 for the entire diapering experience! That's a lot of money to save! Not only that but you're able to use the same cloth diapers (if you're thorough in cleaning them and take care of them) with your next kid!

On the flip side, though, some of the money you save with cloth diapers you lose with your water bill. Supposedly it's not a whole lot, but it does make a difference. On average you'll do a load of diapers every 2-3 days. That's not too bad. I think.

So, here's why I'm posting: I need advice! Lots of it. If you've used cloth diapers before and you have some tips, have a favorite brand, have a friend who's used them, know anything about them please share with me! Even if you've found a website that's been helpful. Let me know. I'm hungry for information.

The two types I'm most confused and interested in are pre-folds with covers and pocket diapers. What's the difference? Which one is easiest to use? Which one is more economical? How many times (in a day) can you use the same diaper?

You are the Titus 2 women that I need to learn from! Please share the wisdom you've been given!

Thanks, Everybody!!!!

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Here are some links

http://www.mycharmingkids.net/search/label/cloth%20diapers

Scroll all the way down on the above link-she has lots of posts on cloth d.

http://www.mycharmingkids.net/2009/03/cloth-diapering-101-giveaway.html

her givaway is over but the above is a link to a great demonstration on using a type of cloth d.

Mimi said...

Hey Katie,

I tried cloth with my oldest and I think I lasted one week! I used way more diapers than they said I would need, because every time he peed I changed it. I couldn't stand thinking of it being on him next to his skin. Cleaning the poopie ones was not my favorite thing either.
I was nursing every 2 hours (and that is from start to start so I might have only a half hour break)and the last thing I wanted to do those first few weeks was take care of cloth diapers because I was so tired. I was willing to deal with the cost to get much needed sleep.
I would recommend looking into a service or using disposable for at least the first couple of weeks so you can get into your routine and get some of your energy back.
Just my experience and opinion. I know many people (including my mother) who used cloth for all their children the entire time and loved it:)
Take care:)
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie!
I used cloth for 3 out of 4 of my children. I would put about 1/2 cup or so of Ivory Snow detergent and about 1/2 cup of bleach in the bottom of the diaper pail and fill about 1/2 way up with steaming hot water, so everything would dissolve. Each diaper went into the "water mix" until wash day.....then I would dump the whole thing, water and diapers into the washer and put it on the spin cycle. When spinning complete, simply wash as a normal load with Ivory Snow and bleach. I always line dried them, weather permitting. They always stayed white and fresh! I read your blog often....feel free to call or email me anytime...
lizgable@verizon.net (757)482-4389. I know there's a lot more choices these days for cloth diapering, and do they even make diaper pails anymore??? Take care and keep keepin your eyes on our wonderful Savior!! He alone is worthy!
Gratefully His,
Liz Gable

For I am in a time of life when things change around me. Everything I own or think I have control over I must lay before my Father's feet: my education, my body, my place of residence, my husband, my children.