Monday, November 3, 2008

Hehe!

So, I'm writing the newsletter for the squadron wives. I needed to come up with a witty little phrase to start the newsletter off with a smile. Here's what I came across:

An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day. ~Irv Kupcinet

Ah! on Thanksgiving day....
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before.
What moistens the lips and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?
~John Greenleaf Whittier

On Thanksgiving Day we acknowledge our dependence. ~William Jennings Bryan

Thanksgiving is America's national chow-down feast, the one occasion each year when gluttony becomes a patriotic duty. ~Michael Dresser

Coexistence: what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving. ~Mike Connolly

Thanksgiving, man. Not a good day to be my pants. ~Kevin James

Happy We-Stole-Your-Land-and-Killed-Your-People Day! ~Thanksgiving toast, from the movie Sweet November

The thing I'm most thankful for right now is elastic waistbands. ~Author Unknown

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!
~Author Unknown

Turkey: A large bird whose flesh, when eaten on certain religious anniversaries has the peculiar property of attesting piety and gratitude. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

I used the first one. :) Hope they made you smile!

2 comments:

Grace Caroline said...

Happy We-Stole-Your-Land-and-Killed-Your-People Day! This one is so wrong!! haha!!!

Katie Paulus said...

I love it! It's so true!!!

For I am in a time of life when things change around me. Everything I own or think I have control over I must lay before my Father's feet: my education, my body, my place of residence, my husband, my children.