Saturday, March 20, 2010

Mother Goose

The more time I spend with my wonderful, spirited baby girl the more of my childhood is brought to remembrance... Songs like "Baby BumbleBee" and "K-K-K-Katie!" are sung frequently in our house. I love it!

As I was sitting here the old nursery rhyme "Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater" came to mind and I started wondering what it really meant. That's when I found this website. It amazed me how many of the nursery rhymes we sing have terrible origins. Would you sing "Ring a ring of rosies" if you knew it was about death and the Plague? Or that the crazy woman in "Three blind mice" was Queen Mary I?

It's good to know stuff... I laughed after seeing the irony of the children's rhymes I've been singing since I was little were about terrible things at their origins. Whatever.

No comments:

For I am in a time of life when things change around me. Everything I own or think I have control over I must lay before my Father's feet: my education, my body, my place of residence, my husband, my children.