Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mommy things


This week I'm learning how to cook baby food... in my ebay-won Beaba BabyCook!
It retails for $149 (ouch!) but I was able to get one second hand for $100. Already I've pureed carrots for Audrey's lunch and I'm about to cook 2 plums and steam them.
If you're looking for a good sight on making your own baby food check out this site.
I know there's a big debate about whether it's cost efficient to purchase and "extra kitchen item" to make baby food when you can easily steam food on your stove top. While it's obviously cheaper to make your own baby food it's not easy to decide how.
So, this week I'm going to be making baby food both ways: with the Beaba BabyCook and on the stove.
I would love to receive any tips and personal experience. Feel free to leave a comment!

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Hi Katie,

I make Joel's foods on the stove. Sometimes I just make a little extra of whatever the family is already eating (i.e. sweet potato) and mash it up or blend it for him. Most of the time though I just take a little time when I'm waiting for something else in the kitchen. I usually buy frozen organic fruits and vegetables and since they are already cleaned, peeled and chopped it usually takes only about 5- 10 minutes after the water comes to a boil. I then freeze it in ice cube trays so I can just fix exactly what he needs. The best place I have found for advice is www.wholesomebabyfood.com They seem to stay pretty simple and don’t get me overwhelmed. I think you will enjoy not only making your baby's food, but also the satisfaction of doing so. You'll know exactly what your baby is eating and she'll have a wider variety of good nutritious foods too. Joel's favorite foods are avocado and mango - two things not in the baby food jars.

Hope you enjoy the steamer/baby food maker - it looks so cool!

Tonya

For I am in a time of life when things change around me. Everything I own or think I have control over I must lay before my Father's feet: my education, my body, my place of residence, my husband, my children.