Monday, April 26, 2010

Communication

Disregard this post if you don't give a rat's patooty about childhood development or the Paulus home. Sorry to bore you. :)

Communication - a process by which information is exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols, signs or behavior.

I share the definition because my daughter, Audrey, communicated with me for the first time. For the past 7 months I've been guessing what she needed. Bottle? Diaper change? Burp? Nap? You know. The mommy game.

But today Audrey communicated. By rapping her fist on her high chair she was trying to communicate that she wanted her favorite toy (a wooden spoon). Yes, I had to do some guessing. But after I figured out that she was showing me what she does with her spoon and how she got a huge smile on her face when I rewarded her with it I realized she had just asked for her spoon!

Yup. I'm a proud Mama. Sorry you had to read my bragging... Can't help it. I sure do love that kid!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ha! I know, I can't help bragging about my little guy either! I say brag away, I love to read it :)

Holly Tried It said...

Now that you are teaching her sign language, you will have these amazing moments all the time! It's awesome.

Katie Paulus said...

I love it! We're working on "eat" and "milk" right now. I LOVE Baby Signing Time!

For I am in a time of life when things change around me. Everything I own or think I have control over I must lay before my Father's feet: my education, my body, my place of residence, my husband, my children.